Saturday, September 2, 2017

Two Quilts, Oh My!

I impressed myself and completed two quilts this year!  (I finished my very first quilt in 2013 pictured here and wow, I can't believe it was that long ago!)  Well considering the lack of experience that kind of makes sense as these two quilts are in no way perfect, there are some flaws but, the more practice the better!  I didn't use a pattern and just laid out the fabric pieces until it was pleasing to the eye!  They measure about 81"x49" and I used Mountain Mist's 100% cotton batting for the middle layer.

For this first one (I call it the novelty squares quilt) finished a few months ago, I used novelty and character fabrics consisting of:  2 different designs of Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Walking Dead, Transformers Prime Badge Blue, Nintendo Mario Kart 8 (Springs Creative Products Group fabrics); pizza slices, bacon and headphones (Timeless Treasures fabric).  The squares (approximately 9") are accented with some blue and green fabrics.  I sewed leftover pieces of the fabrics together to make a scrappy binding.










































This most recent quilt I completed last week; I call it the strip quilt.  Again I used more character fabrics:  Batman for DC Comics, Spiderman, and the Comic Strip for Marvel Comics (Eugene Textiles fabrics) and a skull and cross bone fabric from my stash.  I also sewed a scrappy binding with the leftover blue and gray fabric.  Unlike the other quilt, I decided to sew on the binding to both the front and back following the Gourmet Quilter's video How to Bind a Quilt by machine - Quilting Tips and Techniques.  Hand stitching the binding can be relaxing but I wanted the quilt done so it was a great a time saver! 
























The character fabrics are so fun!  I purchase them at the local JoAnn Fabric and Craft store.  And I also buy novelty fabrics there or at another local fabric store.

Happy sewing!






No comments:

Post a Comment