Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Flosstube #5 - Washing My Stitching, Snag Nab-It tool and Final Finishing

I took the plunge into water, well not me but my stitching!  I had the second cross stitch piece that I've ever stitched, from the 1990s, and my first embroidery piece (stitched in 2015) that I wanted to fully finish.  A video of my washing process as well as additional information and photos can be seen below.  I also used a Dritz tool called "Snag Nab-It" which I first learned about it from Vonna Pfeiffer on a July 2017 episode of Fiber TalkALERT:  I'm not a professional and only sharing my experience with washing a few pieces that needed to be cleaned.  Please consult with a professional before washing any project or it will be at your own risk of damaging/ruining your stitching and/or fabric.

My cross stitch piece is from a Dimensions kit named "Life's Prayer" designed by Sue Roedder.  The closest I came to finishing it (shown in my first Flosstube blog post/video) was to buy a photo mat but after sitting for years it had developed some stains.  However, I decided it was time to give it some attention to finally finish it!  The finished design fits into a 5x7 frame.



For my embroidered piece, it is a crewel embroidery design from a Dimensions kit named "I'm No Quitter" designed by Barbara Ann Kenney.  This was my first time trying embroidery and I'm pleased with how it turned out!  I finished the piece by creating a fabric mat to frame the design, embellished with rick rack trim, and added a fabric backing (lined with a light fusible interfacing), into a nice simple fabric display piece.  The finished size is 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" square.



And here's the video!  ALERT:  I'm not a professional and only sharing my experience with washing a few pieces that needed to be cleaned.  Please consult with a professional before washing any project or it will be at your own risk of damaging/ruining your stitching and/or fabric.







No comments:

Post a Comment